Den norske fotografen Ole Salomonsen deler sine beste tips om hvordan å ta de beste bildene av nordlyset og naturen som ombringer det. Ved hjelp av kameraene α9 og α7RIII fra Sony gir han seerne en videoguide om hvordan han fanger det arktiske landskapet – fra himmel til hav.
A new video of leading photographer Ole Salomonsen plotting the perfect route around northern Norway on a mission to capture the stunning hues of the aurora borealis and whales in their arctic feeding ground is released today.
Considered by many to be one of the most beautiful natural phenomena’s in the world and featuring highly on the bucket list of nature photographers everywhere, the northern lights are both awe inspiring and tough to capture properly.
Ole has been shooting photography in these beautiful, but often harsh, wintery environments for over ten years. An award-winning ambassador for Sony, he shoots with the α7RIII and α9 and as he says, “they’re the perfect companion in these conditions”.
For the Northern Lights, here are his Ole’s tips to help others get the most of the night sky:
1.Find a high megapixel camera with a good dynamic range – “The Sony α7RIII has 42 megapixels. It’s an amazing camera for landscape photography. It also has an amazing dynamic range. The range between the northern lights and the foreground can be more than 15 stops, so the good thing about the α7RIII is that it has such a good sensor.”
2. Look for ISO invariance in your camera – “This means I can under expose the picture deliberately not to burn out the highlights of the strong auroral display. But then I can raise the exposure later in post, without adding any noise.”
3. Lower shutter speeds mean greater detail – “I prefer to push the ISO slightly and lowering the shutter speed to get more of the details of the aurora and this camera actually enables me to do that. The α7RIII is fantastic as I can go as high as maybe ISO 10,000 and still have a clean image and lower the shutter speeds from let’s say 5 seconds to 1 second and I’ll have much more detail in the aurora light.”
For pictures of wildlife, Salomonsen switches to the Sony α9 where the unique sensor, especially in low light, helps capture wildlife even in the difficult lighting of the arctic whilst 20fps and fast AF enables him to capture the perfect moment, every time. Here’s why:
1.The benefits of the black-out free screen – “The blackout-free screen you find on the Sony α9 makes it so much easier for me to concentrate on following the subject because you never miss a moment, ensuring you can always keep the subject in view.”
2. High frames per second is key – “I shoot at high speed at 20 frames per second; it’s such an advantage being able to pick that one shot that is spectacular and knowing that I won’t have missed it.”
3.Be ready with the help of AF– “When shooting any wildlife, but in particular whales, you have to be ready, you have to try to predict where they are coming up and as soon as you see the nose of them you just start shooting. I love the autofocus of this camera and the hit rate that I get is just amazing.”
The video has been created in collaboration with Sony for its Sony Alpha Universe website, giving photographers a voice to talk about how they approach their craft and to help others to learn from their experience. Salomonsen’s shoot will be live on Sony Alpha Universe from the 22nd February: www.sony.co.uk/alphauniverse
About the α9
The most technologically advanced, innovative digital camera that Sony has ever created, the α9 offers a level of imaging performance, speed, versatility and usability that is simply unmatched by any camera ever created – mirrorless, SLR or otherwise.
- World’s first full-frame stacked CMOS sensor, 24.2 MP resolution
- Blackout-free continuous shooting at up to 20fps for up to 241 RAW/ 362 JPEG images
- Silent, vibration-free shooting at speeds up to 1/32,000 sec
- 693 point focal plane phase detection AF points with 60 AF/AE tracking calculations per second
- Extensive professional features including Ethernet port for file transfer, Dual SD card slots and extended battery life
- 5-axis in-body image stabilisation with a 5.0 step shutter speed advantage
About the α7RIII
The innovative Full-frame Mirrorless Model of the α7RIII offers 42.4 MP high-resolution, 10 fps continuous shooting, fast and precise AF performance in a compact body.
- 35mm Full-Frame 42.4 MP Back-Illuminated Exmor R™ CMOS Image Sensor with Evolved Image Processing
- Continuous Shooting at up to 10 FPS with either Silent Shooting or Mechanical Shutter and full Auto Focus/Auto Exposure tracking
- 399 phase-detection AF points covering 68% of image area, 425 contrast AF points and approximately 2 times more effective Eye AF
- 5-axis optical in-body image stabilization with a 5.5 step shutter speed advantage
- High Resolution 4K movie shooting with full pixel readout and no pixel binning
- Completely redesigned for professionals, including upgraded Auto Focus, Dual SD Card Slots, Extended Battery Life, superspeed USB (USB 3.1 Gen 1) USB Type-C™ Terminal and more
- Compact, Lightweight body at only 23 oz
Sony er en ledende produsent av lyd-, video-, foto-, spill-, kommunikasjons- og informasjonsteknologiske produkter for forbruker- og proffmarkedet. Med sine virksomheter innen musikk, bilder, dataunderholdning og online, er Sony unikt posisjonert til å være det ledende elektronikk- og underholdningsselskapet i verden. Sony registrerte en årlig omsetning på ca. 77 milliarder dollar for regnskapsåret som endte 31. mars 2018. For mer informasjon om Sony, vennligst besøk www.sony.net